System Administrator Resume Sample
The first impression counts and your system administrator resume decides how your first impression is going to be like on your potential employer. A good system administrator resume is a medium to advertise yourself, your skills and knowledge, and thus capture a potential employer’s attention to land a job that you want. The importance of a well-written professional system administrator resume cannot be stressed upon enough and that is why, in this blog post, we are going to discuss a system administrator resume format.
A system administrator is someone responsible to support a multiuser computing environment, whether it’s an office, a campus or an enterprise data centre, and ensures security and access authorization for a seamless flow of IT services and associated systems. Generally, depending upon the IT system speciality, system administrators may also be designated as a data centre administrator, a virtualization administrator, network operations centre admin, a server administrator or a database administrator.
A system administrator’s job responsibilities are generally large, and hence a person with a broad skill set is a preferred choice among employers. Apart from technical and troubleshooting skills (which are a must-have!), non-technical (soft skills) skills are equally important for system administrators. IT system administrator certifications also hold great importance in sysadmin jobs. Employers always prefer professionals with multiple certifications, such as Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA), CompTIA Server+, Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), and Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA), over professionals who are self-taught or have no certifications attached to their resume.
Here is a system administrator resume sample for an experienced system administrator. With this sample CV template, you will learn how you can emphasize your strongest IT proficiencies and make the right impact on the hiring managers.
Don’t you hate it when the teller informs you “Systems are offline” and you have to make an important payment? It’s the job of the System Administrator to make sure the bank’s networks are running smoothly all the time. Proficiency in operating systems is not the only requirement in a System Administrator Skills List.
You also have to know how to defend the system from malicious attacks. Banks, credit card companies and other organizations that house a large amount of customer data are frequent targets of hackers. In our sample resume for experienced Linux System Administrator, the applicant Joseph, always included routine checks for potential attacks among his scope of responsibilities.
You should also have the ability to work in a team environment. It is important to have strong people skills; being able to communicate effectively and collaborate successfully as a unit.
- Education. Although some employers consider an Associate Degree in Computer Science or a related course, a Bachelor Degree is much preferred. It is not a requirement but given the technical nature of the job, candidates with a Master’s Degree in Computer Information Systems or Business Administration will be given priority attention.
- Other Hard Skills. It will be a big plus in your System Administrator resume if you possess training in other areas such as Identity and Access Management (IAM), Scripting/ Automation, advanced security systems and Mobile Device Management.
- Problem Solving. A day in the life of a System Administrator involves a series of problem solving situations that require critical analysis, creative and strategic thinking. You have to make heads or tails of why frameworks and processes within the system are not working properly. In the end you have arrive at qualitative, solutions-based decisions to remedy the situation within a reasonable time frame.
- Ability to Work with a Team. A System Administrator will tell you their work schedules often extend the 9-to-5 grind. Many find themselves working during weekends and holidays. And they cannot do the job alone. They need others with more specific skills for programming, project management and business analysis.
As technology continues to evolve, so should the skill set of the System Administrator. If you want to build a career in this lucrative field, you have to be willing to invest in additional training and certification in new systems.
System Administrator Resume Objective
When perusing through System Administrator resumes, HR people will be targeting specific resume keywords that prove your qualification for the job. This means certifications, licenses and other forms of related training. As you can see in the objective statement in our System Administrator resume sample, there are certifications in Microsoft, Linux and UNIX but before he does that, he frames everything with the word “Professional”.
For the HR Officer reading system administrator resume, he or she will get the impression that the applicant is dedicated and invested in his career. The perception is further fueled by the fact that Joseph is also taking up Master’s in Science studies in Computer Information.
Running off with his qualifications is a great way to offset what may be perceived as lack of experience. Usually companies prefer candidates with at least 6 years of tenure. Although it’s not far behind, he did not take chances and instead, let his qualifications do the talking.
You will also notice that there are no soft skills. This is because the attention of the recruiter will most likely be on hard skills. You can place your list of soft skills with those under “Skills”.
System Administrator Resume Format
It is to be always clear that the ideal and the most suited system administrator resume format for experienced System Administrator is the reverse chronological format. This is a job that demands competency, experience and expertise. The reverse chronological format best highlights these strong points.
Resume format for System Administrator resume is structured as follows:
- Contact Information
- Objective Statement
- Work History
- Personal Information
We could have placed certifications earlier but chose not to because these were already stated in his system administrator resume objective and Skills. Even if it did not have much experience, we wanted to point out that he managed different tasks with his previous employers.
Placing certifications after his educational attainment ensures the last thoughts the Hiring Manager would have about were on his technical qualifications.
Entry Level System Administrator Resume
If you’re applying as a System Administrator for the first time, you will have a difficult time finding strong footing versus more experienced candidates.
Using the functional format, your system administrator resume will be structured as follows:
- Contact Information
- Objective Statement
- Work Experience
- Personal Information
Again, we placed certification lower simply because these were already stated in the objective statement and Skills. Otherwise it would sound too-repetitive, redundant and off-putting.
If you have employment gaps, don’t include the inclusive months in your work experience.
System Administrator Resume Writing Tips
In recent years, companies have been under siege by malicious hackers who try to steal confidential information that are worth millions of dollars. Many of the companies that failed to protect and secure the integrity of data lost more than money. They lost their integrity and reputation in the industry.
Companies want a System Administrator who can run their network and protect it from the bad guys at the same time. People line up for this job, but companies are very selective when it comes to this position.
You have to take off the gloves and pull out all the stops. This is no time to be humble. You have to flaunt your certifications and other related trainings that you receive. Don’t spare any important details in the type of work you did for your previous employers.
Substantiate your claims with figures and numbers. Identify viruses that you stopped.
Inform the potential employer how you contributed to the success of the organization.
Be as detailed as you can; the person who will read your resume is well-versed with terminologies. Do not be concerned if your resume goes past 1 page. When it comes to System Administrator work, the details are what matters the most.
If this System Administrator resume example wasn’t sufficient for you, you are free to review some other samples and templates from our site.
Tips for Writing Your Systems Administrator CV
Systems Administrator Overview
With a document like the systems administrator CV example, you can find out some of the typical daily tasks that come along with this position. A systems administrator is responsible for a company’s network of computers. These individuals help ensure the business’ employees have adequate access to the computer network and that their software packages are running at optimal levels. System administrators may do quite a bit of troubleshooting to help fix network or individual computer problems. Most of all, systems administrators keep a business’ workflow running smoothly and efficiently by using their knowledge of operating systems, database management, administrator tools and other programming or computer tech principles.
Skills and Knowledge to Include in Your System Administrator CV
If you’re trying to get a list of top skills and knowledge to have for this job, take a detailed look at the systems administrator CV example for best results. At the core of any talented systems administrator is his or her expert knowledge of specific computer systems. Systems administrators must have expertise in the most common operating systems, programming languages, database management tools and more specific networking competencies.
You can list your specific skills, certifications and experiences with individual tools throughout your system administrator CV. A competent system administrator must also have experience with solving problems and developing various plans for computer network performance optimization. Be sure to give some details about your abilities in this area of the job.
Additionally, check out some other helpful strategies to get your system administrator CV in even better condition:
- Help the employer understand all you can do in the position by writing an overview of your talents in the professional summary.
- Writing in incomplete sentences is acceptable in the system administrator CV format, so don’t worry about your use of fragments.
- Write about your most impressive work details with quantities about your impact, if possible.
- Use varied word choice when listing your experiences in your previous jobs to help break up the text and give it some originality.
- Remember to focus on the main purpose of your system administrator CV, to convince a hiring manager you’re more than qualified.
Now you've got the tips to write a job winning system administrator resume for yourself. Make sure to use these key strategies:
- Use bullet points that match the job description and don’t forget to use the resume keywords from the job description.
- Find skills and qualities in the job ad. Then find times in your work history when you've nailed those things. Voila, instant interview.
- Finally, use dedicated "other" sections to show you live and breathe sysadmin work. That can mean continuing ed, volunteer work, or just an "attaboy" from management.